The city of Atlanta is filled with exciting shops, restaurants, and theaters and the Artmore is in the heart of it all! Our guests are fortunate to be within walking distance to the best that the city has to offer. In this series we will feature some of the spots that make Atlanta great. The High Museum of Art is the leading Art museum in the Southeast United States. Since being founded in 1905 it has become the holder of more than 14,000 works of art. It is located on Peachtree Street, just 10 walking minutes away from The Artmore Hotel. With art from the 1300′s to the present, there is truly something for everyone at the High. The High has an extensive collection of 19th- and 20th-century American, decorative art, European paintings, African American art, modern and contemporary art, photography, folk art and African art. Highlights of the permanent collection include works by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Claude Monet, Martin Johnson Heade, Dorothea Lange, Clarence John Laughlin, and Chuck Close. In 1958, 29 Renaissance and Baroque paintings and sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Foundation were donated which rounded out the collection. Currently at The High you can view some of the fantastic photography of Abelardo Morell, who is able to see common items and location in a new and fantasticway. “Abelardo Morell: The Universe Next Door” is the first major retrospective of Morell’s photography in 15 years. The exhibition, which ends on May 18, 2014, includes works that span his career presented alongside new works the Museum commissioned in 2013 for its ongoing “Picturing the South” series, which asks noted photographers to turn their lenses toward the American South. Coming soon to the High Museum is the “Dream Cars” exhibit where the Museum will present a major exhibition of innovative automotive design that will bring together 17 concept cars from across Europe and the U.S. On view from May 21 through Sept. 7, 2014. “Dream Cars: Innovative Design, Visionary Ideas” will feature concept cars from the early 1930s to the 21st century that pushed the limits of imagination and foreshadowed the future of design. The exhibition will pair conceptual drawings, patents and scale models with realized cars, demonstrating how their experimental designs advanced ideas of progress and changed the automobile from an object of function to a symbol of future possibilities. All 17 cars that will be on display will have to be transported from atruck on the street behind the museum to the second floor of The High! One of the most exciting exhibits coming to The High will be the “Make A Joyful Noise”. This presentation will feature three marble panels from Italian sculptor Luca della Robbia’s famed organ loft created for Florence Cathedral that will travel to the U.S. for the first time. From Oct. 25, 2014 to Jan. 11, 2015, The High will place these panels in the musical environment for which they were originally created by displaying them with other musical objects, including hand-decorated choir books from the cathedral and a lectern designed to hold them. Along with the pieces, music from the choir books featured in the exhibition will be performed on the accompanying audio tour. In addition, live concerts and recitals by professional singers and musicians, church choirs, school groups, and others will be held in an adjoining gallery, further exploring the relationshipbetween the visual and performing arts. The High’s neighbor, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, will provide assistance to the Museum as it develops this aspect of the exhibition. The High Museum is an unique location in Atlanta that has an uncanny ability to inspire and touch the common man. The collection at the high brings beauty and pieces that have an amazing ability that make you think and feel. You can go to The High to be alone and in thought, or you can go on a guided tour every day at 1:00 pm and learn more about its unique collection. Take your family on a Satuday or just bring your toddler and enjoy their “Toddler Thursday” where your toddler can learn about the ABC’s of art through activities involving the High’s permanent collection. You can even bring your date on a Friday and have an affordable and unique experience during Friday Night Lates with extended hours until 9 p.m. and half-price admission from 4 to 9 p.m.
Where to walk when you stay… High Museum of Art
- Sitting pretty. ❤️ #CaninesandCocktails #ArtmoreHotel #cute #puppy #adorable #celebrate #hotel
- The beautiful Ms. Autumn is hanging out with us for the evening. #CaninesandCocktails #dogs #fun #ArtmoreHotel #rescue #cocktails
- He asked if he could have a drink. Unfortunately we had to turn him down; but we won’t turn YOU down. Bring your fur baby and help us celebrate! #CaninesandCocktails #ArtmoreHotel #fun #dogs #rescue #PawsAtlanta #Atlanta
- Free appetizers, drink specials, and treats for the furry friend in your life. Come join us! #CaninesandCocktails #ArtmoreHotel #dogs #pets #fun #happyhour #Atlanta
- A little bit of rain isn’t going to stop us. We’re ready to have a good time down here at the Artmore. Bring your furry friend, let’s celebrate our Courtyard reopening, and support a great organization: @pawsatlanta! #hotel #fun #ArtmoreHotel #celebrate #ALittleRainNeverHurtAnybody
- Don’t let a little rain scare you! Canines & Cocktails – Our 5th Annual Courtyard Reopening Event – is happening this evening from 5pm to 8pm. Don’t miss it! 15% of all proceeds from the event will go to @pawsatlanta #dogs #ArtmoreHotel #furryfriends #BringYourFurryFriend #Atlanta
- By far the most adorable St. Patrick’s Day celebration in town. #StPaddysDay #StPatricksDay #ArtmoreHotel #hotel #fun #celebration
- Having a blast handing out St. Paddy’s Day cookies to hungry drivers. “Happy St. Patrick’s Day!” #StPaddysDay #StPatricksDay #ArtmoreHotel #fun
- The stage is set and ready to go! Come and check out dancers from the @burkeconnolly Irish School of Dance! 5pm performance. #StPaddysDay #StPatricksDay #fun #dancers #IrishDance #luck Here for the event? Tag your photos #ArtmoreHotel for a feature!
- Come and enjoy green drinks today from 4pm to 12am! $5 beers and $8 drink specials. #StPatricksDay #StPaddysDay #bar #cocktails #fun #happyhour #celebrate #ArtmoreHotel #GreenMargarita